Tuesday, May 11, 2010

8 is Great!

Alice turned 8 this past week. As always - it was a full week of celebrations! Starting with a special birthday meal on Wednesday and a extra chocolaty cake made lovingly by her sisters!We had her birthday party on Saturday. I think it was my favourite birthday party yet. Partly because of the fun theme - a chef party. But mostly because I think that 8 year old girls may be the most delightful things on this planet!
Alice and Jackie helped make chef's hats out of tissue paper and cardboard, and I sewed aprons out of dollar store tea towels and discount ribbon. ( the night before of course - but Andrew was out at a guys movie night, so no one was around to witness my last procrastinated sewing).

The girls worked in teams making their own cakes out of mixes. They did everything themselves - I only checked that the measurements were right. The girls were all so excited to be doing it all on their own, and they worked together so well, taking turns cracking eggs etc. It was neat to see them realize they could do it all themselves - realize for the first time that the directions were on the box and they they could read. They made a couple chocolate cakes, a lemon cake and a cherry cake.
When the cakes were in the oven, the girls went downstairs to watch the Princess and the Frog ( which worked for the theme, since the main character is trying to open a restaurant) while I cleaned up the splattered cake batter from the table and the floor. I also made the icing)



Then it was decorating time! The one on top is Alice's, the one below is Jackie's. I got the cake pans for a dollar fifty at the dollar store. How would I do birthdays without stuff from china!


They all had so much fun decorating the cakes and were so excited to take their's home that no one really noticed that they didn't eat any cake at the party - though my kids probably sampled enough icing to make up for it.
Anyway - It was a delightful time. 8 is my new favourite age. It is just magic. Still young enough to be happy to wear a paper chef's hat, and get excited about pretty much everything, and grown up enough to make cakes on their own, keep track of all their things and help clean up. It is a mother's dream come true. The theme was really fun as well, I can't count how many times I heard " Bon Appetit" and as a procrastinator, it was great to not have to have any food prepared before the party began. I honestly had a truly great time, after it was done, I had energy enough to go on a really long run. When I got back, my three girls were all happily playing with Alice's new toys that she had gotten out of the packages on her own. We finished up the day with a little extreme uno she got as a gift.
Now we have a week to gear up for the main event of turning 8. Alice's baptism is next week. She is very excited and we are glad that we will have lots of family and friends around to share that day with us.
Alice - we love you!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

What a fun party. Chloe had so much fun!! She couldn't stop talking about it when she got home. Great idea. I loved the chef hats!

Dawn said...

What a great idea! ...and very grave of you to let all those little girls cook and mix etc. Fun!

And now Alice can go to Activity Days! More fun!

Megan said...

Wow, that looks like such a fun party! Maybe for my next birthday I'll do the same!!! But seriously, Emberly's here looking at the pictures and I think she wants a chefs party too, and she's so sad she couldn't be there! You throw the best parties, and of course your girls do too, like mother like daughter! And I love the idea of baking the cakes while watching a movie and then decorating, it all sounds so perfect.

And yes, I think girls around this age are so fun. I can't wait for 8, Ember as well, she's very excited to be grown up and baptized. Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories!