Monday, April 8, 2013

The Ocean


 Before we left on our trip Andrew and I did a lot of planning regarding what we were going to do in France - what we would see and where we would stay. During that planning phase I was so excited I often told people about what we were planning. People often asked us what we would be doing in Australia and were surprised that we didn't have the same long list of sights to see. Our plans for Australia were simple: We were going to the beach!



Now - at the end of our trip - I wish I could report the number of perfect days we have spent at the beach - because there have been SO MANY! We have been in Australia for just over 9 weeks. We arrived just after their hottest months - just as the kids were back at school after the summer break  - the weather has been lovely and the beaches have been almost empty - like they are all for us. Now in April as the Australians are telling us how it is getting cold, we still have been lucky enough to enjoy great times on the beach.
We have spent time at several beaches: Shelly, Toowoon Bay, Blue Lagoon, Terrigal, Avoca, Manly ( that the Ellen show visited)  and our favourite beach: Soldiers. This is the first time the girls have been in the ocean and the first time I have spent any length of time by the ocean. I find that I love it. I could sit on the beach for hours just watching the waves. It is also a wonderful feeling watching the kids playing together in the water.  
 
 The thing about the ocean and beaches is that it is different everyday. Some days the waves are rough and scary - with rips and currents that push you far.  Some days it is calm - and feels like a big salty lake. Some days the beach is steep - the water getting deep right away. Some days there are sand bars with calm pools in front. You can go to the same beach three days in a row and have a completely different experience each time.
When we leave I know that we will really miss the ocean. I love walking past it every morning. I can't imagine what it would be like to grow up by the ocean and move away from it. After just 9 weeks I feel like I will miss it so much.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Those pictures are beautiful!! I can imagine how you are feeling. It makes me want to move near the ocean. Sometimes I think why am I living here in this cold, dry environment - I must be crazy!!